This put up initially appeared on November 16, 2018, in “Eat, Drink, Watch” — the weekly publication for individuals who wish to order takeout and watch TV. Browse the archives and subscribe now.
Welcome again to Friday afternoon. I hope you’ve obtained some enjoyable cooking/and or consuming deliberate for the times forward. Listed here are some concepts for what to look at this weekend, together with a cooking competitors, a food-themed episode of a cop present, and a remixed model of a Meals Community favourite.
Extra drama (and fewer handshakes) on ‘The Nice British Baking Present’
Netflix/The Nice British Baking Present
The recipe for The Nice British Baking Present hasn’t modified a lot over time, and but, to my eyes no less than, the cooking competitors is getting higher with every new season. The true revelation in Season 6, which simply landed on Netflix, is the casting: The bakers are all extraordinarily gifted, charming folks you’d be fortunate to have as a co-workers, neighbors, or members of your carpool. Whereas watching this new batch of episodes, I actually puzzled if the recognition of the Bake Off within the U.Ok. has impressed extra viewers to take up baking, thus making casting simpler with every successive season. Regardless of the cause could also be, it’s clear that the Baking Present has weathered its host change-up and is now firing on all cylinders. Listed here are 5 the explanation why this present is best than ever:
1) An ideal mixture of expertise: In earlier seasons, it was obvious from the get-go that some bakers have been superb whereas others weren’t going to final very lengthy. However on this season (spoilers right here) these distinctions should not as clear, and that makes for extra thrilling gameplay. After watching Ruby’s biscuit selfie fail within the first episode, you’d by no means guess that she’d make it to the finals, or that Briony may endure so many shaky rounds early within the recreation, however finally win Star Baker halfway by the season. Everybody has triumphant victories and crushing defeats, and the facility shifts make these 10 episodes actually satisfying to look at.
2) Fewer (however extra highly effective) Hollywood handshakes: Decide Paul Hollywood obtained some blowback after Season 5 for giving out too lots of his signature congratulatory handshakes — “I’ve taken a little bit of flack over that,” Hollywood admitted to Jonathan Ross earlier this 12 months. However he’s scaled again this season, now touchdown them with extra emphasis. Simply have a look at the facility of his new and improved Hollywood handshake when it’s prolonged towards Dan after a profitable traybake:
Netflix/The Nice British Baking Present
3) The reign of Rahul: He initially began baking to make buddies at work, however now Rahul may need a completely totally different profession — and an entire new set of buddies — after his spectacular run. He’s a seemingly candy, humorous man who sails by the competitors due to his willpower, clear headedness, and creativity. Rahul is a quintessential GBBS star, regardless of that proven fact that his biggest victory is shrouded in controversy.
4) Theme-a-palooza: Spice Week and Danish Week are each greatadditions to the present, however Vegan Week is the most important shock. It not solely will get the bakers out of their respective consolation zones, but additionally consists of the priceless scene of a cake falling to items contained in the tent because the gang watches with horror exterior.
5) Noel and Sandi FTW: The comedic duo was the most important shock of Season 5, and now Noel Fielding and Sandi Toksvig have really settled right into a seemingly easy comedic groove. Their gags about all the things from Again to the Future to French mimes are possibly a bit too corny for some viewers, however I personally love these goofy interludes at first of the present, in addition to their playful demeanor with the bakers through the competitors.
All 10 episodes of Season 6 at the moment are out there to stream on Netflix. In the event you’re watching this weekend, please be a part of the dialog over on the Eat, Drink, Watch Fb Group.
Streaming alternatives du jour
NBC/Regulation & Order: SVU
Regulation & Order: SVU, “Hell’s Kitchen”
Watch it on: NBC.com, Hulu, Amazon, iTunes
The gist: The newest “ripped from the headlines” episode of the long-running police procedural focuses on a giant deal New York chef who’s accused of sexually assaulting a server at his restaurant. Most of the particulars are virtually painfully true-to-life, notably the ways in which the staff describe their poisonous work environments. However for each convincingly sensible second on this episode, there may be no less than one cringe-worthy little bit of cop banter or corny line that undercuts the significance of the story.
Working example: The dialogue between the chef, Andrew Liebowitz (performed by Luke Kirby), and the SVU crew, within the wine cellar of his stylish Queens-inspired restaurant. “I’m all about authenticity,” Liebowitz says whereas uncorking a bottle of wine. “That’s why I began Far Rockaway, and all of it started with a glass of Manischewitz and a plate of gefilte fish in my mom’s kitchen in Queens.” With out lacking a beat, Sergeant Fin Tutuola (Ice-T) tells him, “How about this for authenticity: We’ve obtained cause to consider Kayla was sexually assaulted right here final night time.” To additional complicate issues, the episode additionally throws in a twist on the finish that pulls closely (and somewhat straight) from the Brett Kavanaugh story.
The restaurant trade deserves a greater fictional TV episode masking sexual misconduct than this one. I nonetheless suppose “Hell’s Kitchen” is value watching, although, if solely to see how Hollywood is catching up with the nationwide dialog round kitchen tradition.
Good Eats: Reloaded, “For Whom the Cheese Melts”
Watch it on: Amazon Video, iTunes
The gist: Earlier this fall, Alton Brown informed Eater that he determined to remix some episodes of his outdated Meals Community present Good Eats to repair errors that had been nagging at him all these years. “There have been some locations the place I simply hated the recipes from the get-go, which is true, as an illustration, of a fondue recipe which I’ve utterly redone, and now I like it,” the host defined. And now, Brown’s followers can lastly see his redux model on the brand new iteration of “For Whom the Cheese Melts.”
Alton notes that he realized that his outdated 1999 recipe didn’t work for a lot of viewers “when the interwebs grew up and have become the nice place to complain that it’s.” He’s utilizing a Dutch oven this time as a substitute of an electrical pot, and there’s a brand new mixture of cheese and spices. Brown additionally crucially subs white wine and brandy for cider. This episode is a very nice showcase for the host’s self-deprecating humorousness.
In different leisure information…
Have a fantastic weekend, and for those who’re searching for one thing decadent to cook dinner for brunch (or dinner), think about making this masterful pasta carbonara recipe from Fortunate Peach’s e book All About Eggs.
Eat, Drink, Watch.
Meals leisure information and streaming suggestions each Friday
By signing up, you conform to our Privateness Coverage and European customers conform to the information switch coverage.